By Logan Quirk
If you need a personal injury lawyer in Los Angeles, you might be wondering exactly what it is that they will do for you and your case. Read ahead to learn more.
Now that you have found a personal injury lawyer in LA to handle your personal injury case or the details surrounding your car accident, what happens next? You might have already even signed a fee agreement without knowing exactly what it is that your personal injury lawyer will do for you.
Maybe you hopped onto Google and searched for “Personal Injury Lawyer LA.” Maybe you asked your friends and family members for their own personal suggestions. Now, you’ve found a lawyer that comes highly recommended. What happens now?
This depends on a variety of factors and details.
Will you go to court?
When you hire your lawyer, you might think that it automatically means that you need to go to court. This is not always the case. In fact, most cases in Los Angeles settle out of court, and this will ideally save you the cost of a trial and the stress of the experience.
Your LA personal injury lawyer will be fighting to settle out of court. It is to everyone’s advantage to win you the largest possible settlement in the shortest amount of time. After all, their fee depends on the settlement amount – they want it to be high! That said, they will never commit to a settlement without your explicit permission, so you will always have the final say.
Do you have insurance?
Your LA personal injury lawyer needs to know if you have valid automobile insurance to ensure that you get your pain and suffering damages. Further, if you have health insurance, you and your doctors will work on getting the best course of treatment. If you are uninsured or need specialists, your lawyer should have specialists with whom you may be referred. In any event, your medical treatment is paramount.
The litigation process and settlement negotiation
There are five main factors that will affect the amount of time that it will take for your LA personal injury lawyer to obtain your settlement.
- Evidence gathering – The amount of time it will take to obtain evidence. This includes photos, witness statements and reports to determine who was at fault.
- Your condition – Your personal injury lawyer cannot proceed with your case until your condition has completely stabilized. They need the reports from your doctors that state as such in order to move forward.
- The Insurance Company – Next, they need to make a demand from the at fault insurance company. Once the demand is made, the negotiation process should begin.
- Lawsuit or Arbitration – If your personal injury lawyer and insurance company fail to obtain a fair settlement, your lawyer will file a lawsuit or demand the arbitration process.
- Discovery proceedings – Proceedings begin that include depositions of all parties involved in the accident. This can be a very time consuming process, but your personal injury lawyer in LA will walk you through every step of the way.
Quirk Law Group has a comprehensive guide for your reference. Contact us today to discuss any of the above.